The current situation regarding the COVID-19 pandemic is changing very rapidly. The following information reflects what travellers to Charleston should expect as of March 31, 2020.
- In South Carolina, 1083 cases of novel coronavirus have been positively identified, and twenty-two individuals have died from the infection.
- The state is now under stay-at-home orders which applies to all non-essential workers.
- All restaurants are closed for dine-in service.
- Public facilities, including the City Market, Dock Street Theatre, Old Slave Mart Museum, and others are closed until further notice.
- Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's Island have restricted access to residents, current renters and hotel guests, licensed contractors, and other essential personnel who have been given passes.
- Beaches and public boat ramps are closed.
- The Cooper River Bridge Run has been rescheduled to August 1.
Guidance for Travelers
- On March 18, the U.S. and Canada jointly agreed to a temporary closure of their common border. The closure is for non-essential travel.
- The U.S. Department of State and Centers for Disease Control have issued advisories for travel to foreign countries with sizable COVID-19 outbreaks:
- Travelers arriving to the U.S. from China are required to be monitored for 14 days
- The CDC operates public health entry screening/quarantines at the 13 U.S. airports and border crossings in El Paso and San Diego. Airport screening checkpoints for Chinese inbound flights include Seattle-Tacoma (SEA); New York (JFK); Los Angeles (LAX); San Francisco (SFO); Chicago (ORD); and Atlanta (ATL); Anchorage (ANC); Boston (BOS); Dallas (DFW); Detroit (DTW); Minneapolis (MSP); Newark (EWR); Washington Dulles (IAD); Philadelphia (PHL); and San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU).
- Airlines have suspended flights between China and the U.S., and growing numbers of flights to and from South Korea have been suspended. On March 11, the U.S. restricted foreign national air arrivals from Europe to the U.S.
- Check the Charleston International Airport travel advisory for the latest information.
Public Health and Traveler Resources
- City of Charleston Coronavirus Updates
- City of Charleston - Information about COVID-19 Coronavirus
- Coronavirus News from ABC News 4
- Charleston International Airport travel advisory
- Options for Things to Do & Places to Eat While Practicing Social Distancing