Moncks Corner, named for its first landowner in 1728, is the county seat of Berkeley County. Its boundary extends east to the West Branch of the Cooper River and is 3 miles south of the outlet of Lake Moultrie. Its population is hovering 8,000 residents. Its storied history largely coincides with the Depot built to handle the North East Railroad train stop that originated in the mid-1800’s. Although that original Depot burned in 1915, a rebuilt and later renovated Depot still is integral to its town center.