Charleston attracts its many visitors with Southern charm, historic sites, and great year-round weather. And what better way to experience all that our city has to offer than to participate in an adrenaline-pumping outdoor adventure. Venture into the Great Outdoors with these ten activities to add a little adrenaline to your Charleston vacation.
1. Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge. Not only is this bridge a symbolic structure in the Charleston skyline, but it's also the site of the annual Cooper River Bridge Run. Walk, run, or bike over the Cooper River from either the Charleston or Mount Pleasant side and enjoy a beautiful view of Charleston's iconic skyline, the Charleston Harbor, and Fort Sumter.
2. Charleston Harbor Boat Cruise. Whether it's relaxing on a dinner cruise or searching for shells and sharks teeth on an adventure tour, experience the Charleston Harbor, other waterways, and secluded beaches while kicking up your feet on the water.
3. Charleston Zip Line Adventures. Want to take your vacation to the next level? This local, family-owned business is a great way to get everyone involved. Fly through the trees on seven different zip lines, ending with a 750-foot zip! This unforgettable adventure is truly unlike any other and is guaranteed to be the highlight of any trip.
4. Kayaking on Shem Creek. There's no better way to view Mount Pleasant's shrimp boats and wildlife than right on the water. Even if you don't have a particular destination in mind, rent, buy, or lease a kayak to experience the coast at your own pace. Don't be surprised when a dolphin swims right up next to you!
5. Paddle Boarding at Isle of Palms. This full-body exercise is a fun way to ride the waves at the beach. The balance, strength, and energy it requires provide an amazing workout. Don't worry if you fall off though, because it's the perfect excuse to go for a quick swim.
6. Running Tour. Why walk when you can run? Go for a run through the streets of Charleston to cover more ground and view more landmarks than you ever could on one walking tour. Plus, you'll be getting a great workout while you're at it!
7. Bicycle Downtown. For a more relaxing tour of Downtown Charleston, rent a bicycle for the day. We recommend visiting sites like the Battery and Waterfront Park for a picnic surrounded by beautiful scenery. This is definitely an easier and more eco-friendly alternative to driving and parking as well. One point for Mother Earth!
8. Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park. Conquer 72 different obstacles over the course of your suspended adventure. And don't worry, the challenge range in difficulty, so this is perfect for everyone in the family. Plus, check out their specials for date nights and night climbs that are sure to make your adventure stand out!
9. Fort Sumter. Did you know that the first shots of the Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter? You can catch a ferry out to this island fortification and retrace not only Charleston's history, but also our country's history.
10. Deep Sea Fishing. Dolphin, wahoo, and sailfish, oh my! For any fishermen (or fisherwomen) in the family, chartering a boat to fish nearshore or offshore is a great option that is bound to produce some fantastic memories. And you might even catch dinner!
Article written by Madison Baxley, College of Charleston Marketing Major