When You Feel Something is Not Right
There are times in all of our lives when we have a moment of realization that something is wrong or just not the way it should be. You start to notice how your body is changing in ways that are not good: perhaps you are tired, having brain fog, headaches, allergies or pain in your joints. You might be having digestive issues like cramping, bloating, nausea, or diarrhea. Whatever the case may be, things absolutely feel off. It is in this realization that you have the first opportunity to begin your new journey towards healing. Don't hesitate! Learn what to do and take the first action step to help yourself heal. Your life may depend on it.
Leaky Gut Syndrome
The symptoms listed above may be caused by leaky gut syndrome, which is when the wall of the small intestines is damaged and has increased permeability. Think of the damage as tiny holes in the intestinal wall. As more damage occurs in your gut's wall, you have increased permeability (more holes). This damage can cause a variety of heath problems (R), especially because 70-80% of your immune system is in your gut! (R)
Both food and unhealthy gut bacteria (toxins) can cause permeability to increase. Food that has not been digested and waste compounds (toxins) in your intestines can go through these tiny little holes and get into your bloodstream. Ugh! As these compounds enter your bloodstream, they are considered invaders. Because these invaders are present where they don't belong, your autoimmune system is alerted.
Bam! Your autoimmune cells are triggered, and that is when you begin to notice some big bad changes in how your body functions and how you feel. You don't absorb all the nutrients you are eating. (R)
Note: adhering to a gluten-free diet is essential for preventing inflammation, intestinal permeability, high blood sugar, and other negative effects.
Candida and Leaky Gut
Also, when healthy gut bacteria aren't present, the naturally occurring fungus Candida overgrows. Its overgrowth produces toxins that can promote a leaky gut. Symptoms of Candida overgrowth can be fatigue, mood problems, allergies and autoimmune disease. Below are a few of the main foods that contribute to Candida overgrowth:
Foods that contain yeast
The overconsumption of antibiotics can also prompt Candida overgrowth.
Main Foods that Cause Leaky Gut Syndrome
Sugar (especially refined white sugar)
Grains (such as wheat, barley, and spelt, which contain gluten) (R)
Dairy (especially conventional dairy)
Conventional Meats (as they can contain high levels of antibiotic residue, and genetically modified corn/soy)
This above list delivers a nasty cast of characters to your body, which:
- can contain GMOs (or otherwise chemically altered products or additives. Soy is one of the most genetically modified foods in the world.)
- may be from animals that have been fed products that contain potentially toxic compounds
- may contain gluten, which contributes to leaky gut and inflammation-triggering autoimmune responses in your body
- provide little or no nutritional value (like sugar) BUT may contribute to diabetes and autoimmune responses in your body (R)
There are also factors that destroy your healthy gut bacteria and contribute to a leaky gut like:
- Antibiotics (kill both good and bad gut bacteria)
- Toxins (mold, heavy metals, glyphosate)
- Excess stress (R)
Ways to Promote a Healthy Gut and Immune System
- Intermittent Fasting
- Diet Variation
- High Fiber/Prebiotic Vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, asparagus)
- Good Fats (grass-fed ghee, coconut oil*, olive oil, avocado and avocado oil, MCT oil*)
- Bone Broth*
- Apple Cider Vinegar*
- Cruciferous Vegetables (Best Raw - radishes, turnip, arugula) (Best Cooked - broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collards, bok choy, cabbage)
- Fermented Foods, but use with caution with Candida
*Particularly good to kill Candida
Once the gut is healthy, the majority of your carbohydrates should be from greens.
Proper supplements are also a key in improving and promoting good gut health. Apple cider vinegar and digestive enzymes before meals and Betaine HCL help with stomach acid and vitamin absorption. Turmeric and Krill Oil help with inflammation. Ashwagandha, Licorice Root, Selenium and Collagen also support your gut health and immune system.
Remember: your body is smart and was created to give you years of healthy life and function. It is basically designed to heal itself. As you learn more about how your body operates and how it functions, you can have greater control over how you feel, how you look and how you live your life. It's amazing!