If you love food, you’d have to agree there are zero reasons to visit a national restaurant chain here in Charleston. Who’d settle for the same meal you can get in Grand Rapids or Hackensack, when you can take advantage of the offerings of our local eateries? The same holds true for coffee, if not more so. You’re not in Kansas anymore. Nor Seattle. You’re in America’s favorite city, so I’m personally inviting you to check out one of our many coffee spots that help percolate our colorful reputation. You won’t regret it one drop!
1. Black Tap…Historically good. This intentionally understated shop opened in February 2012 in Charleston's historic Harleston Village neighborhood focused on simple. Custom-built tables made from heart pine wood used in the construction of Charleston’s oldest buildings, a stand-up bar with wrought iron stools, and a few black-and-white family photographs. Best of all, they roast their own!
2. Metto Coffee…Sweet! Specialty coffees, made-from-scratch pastries and paninis, outdoor seating and a convenient drive-thru are just a few reasons it’s worth visiting this Mt. Pleasant shop located on West Coleman Boulevard. “The spicy ginger latte is amazing!” according to one Yelp reviewer. I concur!
3. Coastal Coffee Roasters…Passion in a cup. Located in Downtown Summerville, this family-owned gem has been micro-roasting specialty coffees since 2010. They pride themselves on transforming the world's highest quality, sustainably grown beans into the best freshly roasted coffee available. And they deliver on that promise! Trust me, I know.
4. Muddy Waters…Clearly good. This Maybank Highway café is just the ticket. What’s better than a Muddy Mocha except for maybe a cold brew or a chocolate caramel concoction? Cozy and conveniently located, make sure not to drive by this one-of-a-kind coffee bar.
5. Southern Brews…Shop-less but well worth it. Think drive-thru service and outside seating. That’s what this Johns Island find offers plus a wonderful array of coffee and other delights. Be sure to try the Nobel Prize. You’ll give it your own award.
6. City Lights…“Real coffee shop vibe.” That recent Facebook review sums up this Downtown Charleston spot. Another reviewer says it even more graphically: “Coffee as it's meant to be, in a cozy, intimate small coffee shop.” Now that you know, what are you waiting for?
7. Collective Coffee…Special. “Collective’s friendly and knowledgeable staff prepare each cup of coffee specifically for you using a rotating menu of Counter Culture coffees and Rishi teas.” Those words from their website are spot on. Also a great place in Mt. Pleasant for housemade breakfast or lunch!
8. Classic Coffee Roasters…Stop to smell their coffee. Located in the hip Avondale section of Charleston in restaurant heaven, this is the spot for coffee any time of day. They pride themselves on sourcing high quality green coffee and roasting in-house to achieve the freshest possible cup of coffee or espresso. For good reason!
9. Orange Spot Coffee House… Brewing coffee. Building community. North Charleston can’t be left out when searching for the perfect coffee experience. The Orange Spot is located right in the heart of North Charleston’s Park Circle revitalization. They brew, they concoct and they satisfy the coffee lover in all of us. The Orange Spot hits the spot-straight on!
10. Kudu Coffee & Craft Beer…Yup, you heard right. At Kudu, their focus is to offer their guests a high quality beverage experience in their café or outside in their terrific courtyard. Our focus is to encourage you to go experience this home run in Downtown Charleston. Think of them as the Brews Brothers!
Remember. You’re in Charleston. Un-chain your coffee habits. Starting today! And remember to tell ‘em where you read about them!